The SCB Chairman is Dr Kurt Deketelaere.
A lawyer by training (bachelor (1986), master (1989), PhD (1995) at KU Leuven, Flanders, Belgium), Kurt Deketelaere (° 29 July 1966, Torhout, Flanders, Belgium) is working in the fields of EU research, innovation, education, energy, environment, climate change and sustainability policy and law.
Kurt is doing this for many years from different angels :
* as a director : Kurt is on the board of directors of MRBB, AIF, Arvesta, VITO, and M-Tech;
* as an advisor : Kurt is on the board of advisors of Eneco Belgium, Crowdhelix, and Humanitas University;
* as an entrepreneur : Kurt runs his own consultancy firm, BV KDK, and chairs Sustainability College Bruges;
* as an academic : Kurt is full professor of environmental, energy, climate and construction law at KU Leuven;
* as a public affairs manager : Kurt is secretary-general of the League of European Research Universities (LERU).
For his leadership in EU research, innovation and education policy, Kurt was awarded a doctorate honoris causa by the University of Edinburgh on 6 July 2017, and the (first) Scaliger Medal by Leiden University on 19 September 2017. He received, for LERU, the University Medal of the University of Geneva on 11 October 2019. Furthermore, for his academic work, he was awarded on 21 August 2012 the Hou-De Honorary Chair at the National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan, and has been a visiting and/or honorary professor of law at the Universities of London, Sydney, Macquarie, Singapore, Malta, Dundee, Keio and Chuo.
Earlier in his career, Kurt was the chief legal advisor (2004-2007) and the chief of staff (2007-2009) of the Flemish Minister for Public Works, Energy, Environment and Nature, respectively Mr Kris Peeters and Mrs Hilde Crevits. He was awarded the title of honorary chief of staff of the Flemish Government on 30 June 2009. He chaired the Flemish Energy Regulator (VREG) from 2012 to 2017, and in the early nineties, he led the environmental law practice of a leading consultancy and law firm in Brussels.
Dr Kurt Deketelaere
Honorary Doctor of Laws
University of Edinburgh
6 July 2017
Dr Kurt Deketelaere
Recipient of the first Scaliger Medal
19 September 2017